first Sunday morning in January 1948, twenty persons of Supply,
community assembled in the vacant store building of J.J. Hawes
located at the intersection of N.C. Highway 211 and Blanton Road and
organized a Sunday School with J.J. Hawes as Director.
March 21, 1948, Supply Baptist Church was organized with nineteen
charter members which included Mrs. Lucy Lennon, Mr. & Mrs. Frank
Lennon, Clarence Lennon, Mrs. Lucy Margaret Banks, Mr. & Mrs. J.J.
Hawes, Miss Mildred Hawes, Mrs. Doris Thompson, Mr. & Mrs. Carl
Hewett, Mrs. Natalie Nichols, Mr. & Mrs. Dennis Hewitt, Mr. & Mrs.
Vinton Galloway, V.E.., Ruth and Richmond Galloway.
December 12, 1948, the new church extended a call to the Reverend
Carl Talley to become its first pastor.
thereafter, excavation was started for the construction of a cinder
block building with a basement. Mr. Lennell Hewett was employed to
work and supervise the construction of the building. By the summer
of 1950, the building was ready for use.
ground breaking for the parsonage was held November 11, 1956, and
construction was completed in 1957. A dedication service for both
church and parsonage was held on August 11, 1957.
church felt a need to build a sanctuary on level ground. A committee
studied the possibilities of remodeling the block building then in
use. Finally, the members decided
to erect a new one-story church, construction to be under the
supervision of Walter Sellers. The ground breaking was on November
30, 1969. The dedication of the church followed during the first
Homecoming Service on August 29, 1971.
Baptist Church licensed two men to preach the gospel: Elwood Gore
and Dennis R. Hewett.
1990, the church built a covered driveway and installed a chain link
fence in front of the church and pastorium.
charter membership of 19 in 1948, the church has grown to 308
members at the end of the 1990-91 Associational year. During the
year, the Rev. Tom H. Williams, now more than 90 years of age, was
named Pastor Emeritus
Ruth Galloway (Deceased)
Former Charter Member